Morgan State University (MSU, Morgan State, or Morgan) is a public historically black (HBCU) research university in Baltimore, Maryland. It is the largest of Maryland's HBCUs. In 1867, the university, then known as the Centenary Biblical Institute, changed its name to Morgan College to honor Reverend Lyttleton Morgan, the first chairman of its board of trustees and a land donor to the college. It became a university in 1975. MSU is a member of Thurgood Marshall College Fund. Although a public institution, MSU is not a part of the University System of Maryland.